Monday, November 27, 2006

Brought home a hardware from the Sunshine State







On Thanksgiving morning, as I flew in Tampa, I rented a car to go to Wesley Chapell, about 25 miles north of Tampa. I was so frustrated with my cell since its signal dropped at every minute. I got lost, but I knew I was very close to my friends' house. My cell's signal finally was up so I quickly grabbed a chance to send my friend Tobin a text message asking for more directions. He replied with it. My cell's signal dropped again, and it got stuck for another hour. What a relief. Finally, I found Tobin and Danny's place. There were six guys who were waiting on me before we began our Thanksgiving dinner that was prepared by all of them (of course, except me, but I helped them clean up after the dinner). They were the co-hosts, Tobin and Danny, my lost friend Dick from Fort Lauderdale whom I previously had not seen for 15 years (yeah, 15 years!!!), Tobin's boyfriend Nicky from Gainsville, my long time childhood friend Zant from Houston, and my roommate Hal. (None of them were tennis players) Being in the Sunshine State over Thanksgiving along with these guys felt very nice. I ended up staying there until about 8:30pm, and I rushed to Citrus Classic 2006 Tournament's welcome party since my doubles partner and hotel roommate, Kevin, was expecting me there. K evin was so relieved when I showed since he left me several messages, which I did not receive until later that tonight due to my cell's technical difficulties. After I picked up my registration, Kevin and I went to the hotel, which was located on Harbour Island, just right next to downtown. This area was so beautiful. I loved that hotel bed. It was so comfortable.

On the following day, because it was a day after Thanksgiving, everywhere was so crowded. That's one of my pet peeves. Kevin and I fought to get through traffic to make it to the tournament site. If you have not checked my tournament results, please check the links (each for singles and doubles) on my previous posted blog. Kevin and I "revenged" the eventual singles champion by beating him and his partner in the doubles finals. That was my fourth doubles title since last April (three out of four titles partnered with Kevin).

The banquet was awesome. It was wonderful to see my former doubles partner, Joel B. from Tampa, Chris from Tampa, Coddy from Tampa, Chip from DC, Dan from Orlando, and other familiar faces from across the Sunshine State.....as well as meeting new faces like Doug from Destin, Neal from Tampa, Joe from NJ, and others. Our doubles finals was crowded by our cheerleaders. They were Doug, and all of the guys whom I spent Thanksgiving with came to watch our match. Kevin teased me by saying it was the "Determan contigent".

I returned home earlier this morning, and I was very exhausted (I slept only three hours last night), and I went to work. I have to bite the bullet throughout today.

6 comments:

Brettcajun said...

CONGRATS KEVIN! REVENGE is always SWEET! Now I wonder if you should bring your racquet to Dallas so I can exact my revenge? Hmmm?

BrianSOUL said...

Hey, Brett! Sure, the Gay Games VII medalist will bring his racquet to Big "Dik", I meant Big "D", so he can help Mr. Sweet Revenge Seeker's name get more shiny. However, I am afraid that your revenge desires would NOT be ever fullfilled this weekend. LOL

Brian D.

Brettcajun said...

Oh yeah? Well, I will have something to say about that. When I lose, I quickly learn my opponent and rebound with a big "W" the next time around.

BrianSOUL said...

Yep! Keep up, my friend!

As you know we are Geminis,

A part of me is bully and wanted to keep winning.

Another part of me would root for somebody like you whom I care and also would dedicate to help this person to become a stronger player.

So, ignore my bully side, and know that you have my support from my other side. LOL

My adventures said...

congrats on your win and the one at the gay games!!! wow!!!

BrianSOUL said...

Thanks, David. :-)